Sunday, July 13, 2008

Our Garden

Our bumper crop of tomatoes and eggplants.


Now that we are moved in to our new house and our backyard is finally done, we decided to try our hand at gardening. We chose some simple plants like tomatoes, eggplant, basil, and cilantro. We thought it would be fun for the kids to see how things grow. They have enjoyed coming out to water and see them get bigger and bigger. I have to admit that I feel like one of the kids getting so excited about our little garden! The girls favorite part has been picking the tomatoes. It is so fun to just send Savannah out to the garden to cut some fresh basil for whatever I am cooking for dinner. :) I have had fun trying to use up our harvest. We have been eating a lot of salsa, bruschetta, and grilled eggplant. I have even had success in hiding the eggplant in some dishes that the kids have eaten and enjoyed.
These are the pictures of them at there highest point of excellence, unfortunately now that the heat has really hit it is steadily going down hill. Our tomatoes have experienced blossom end rot (which we found out is from lack of calcium, the tomatoes form of osteoporosis...who knew!), and cracking on the skins (found out that some of the hybrids that we choose are good for hot weather if it is hot and humid not just hot). Now my beautiful eggplants are being attacked by ants. They have eaten 2 of my biggest eggplants. Oh well, the joys of gardening! We are still trying to keep them going and producing.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yea, Rebecca!!!!! I'm so happy you've joined the blogging frenzy (and addiction).

Oh, yum! Fresh tomatoes and basil ... I still remember our garden in Michigan that grew without much work. It was so awesome. I'm so impressed with your garden in Phoenix! We tried unsuccessfully in Las Vegas. Eggplant! I don't think I've ever even made anything with eggplant. What a woman. ; )

Kathie said...

The blog looks AWESOME!! WOO HOO! And the Easter Egg dye -- UGH!!!!!